Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Motivation

I am motivated by 2 things - public humiliation and completing lists.

Sure, that's an odd combination, but they both work for me.  Money motivates me, too, but that doesn't apply here.

Let's start with public humiliation...

I can talk myself out of anything.  If I tell myself I'm going to start eating right and lay off the ice cream, start going to bed earlier, or stay off the internet at work and nobody knows about it, it'll never happen.  However, when I declare publicly that I won't get breakfast from McDonald's for a week via Facebook, or post a sign on my monitor at work that asks anyone who walks by and sees me on the internet to close the browser, anyone can keep me honest by checking in or asking me if I've violated my proclamation.

For example, Bonnie and I gave up soda for Lent.  The only reason I made it 40 days without Diet Dr. Pepper, the sweetest nectar on earth, is that I knew I would let Bonnie down and instead of focusing on her own desire for Root Beer or Dr. Pepper or grape soda (!!!!) she would have to take care of me and get me back on track.  Oh, and there's Jesus, too.  He had a bunch to do with it - if he can survive 40 days in the desert being tempted, for sure I can go 40 days without high-fructose corn syrup.  But Jesus can't give me the look Bonnie can give me if I tell him I had a sip of Coke.  :)

Now, checking things off lists and following routines - one of my greatest joys.  I will commit to updating my weight here every Thursday after my Weight Watchers meeting.  Throughout the week I'll share trials and tribulations, successes and setbacks, and whatever else I feel I need to share about the journey.

I might make this public at some point, but I definitely don't want to publish my current weight on the internet. Haters gonna hate, you know?  Once I get more comfortable and settle into this routine, I'll re-evaluate.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad we gave up soda for 40 days. It was great to do it together and know that we could do it and not let each other down. :)

    ReplyDelete